Friday, June 6, 2008

He Is Just Not That Into You

Very cliche title, I know. I can't seem to get it out of my head though. Last night, I was watching a program on TV (I can't for the life of me remember what it was about) and one of the speakers had authored a book by the same title. And so I got to thinking- How many of us even entertain this thought? And of those of us who do, how many of us accept it?

First time I heard this line was on the show "Sex and the City." Miranda (for those of you who do not watch the show, Miranda is one of four friends all of whom have been to hell and back relationship-wise and have learnt a thing or two bout men) was having lunch and she couldn't help but over hear these two younger ladies. One was complaining to the other about a man she had gone out with. The fellow still had not called her and she was making excuses for him - his boss got laid off, he's under a lot of stress and he's getting his kitchen re-done.Miranda, having been in such situations herself, walked up to them and said " I'm going to tell you something that will save you a lot of heart ache, something I wish someone had told me when I was younger. He's just not that into you." After saying that or something like that, she walked away. The look on the girl's face suggested that she thought this over, realised it could be true, and just as quickly as she accepted it, she rejected it. Turning to her friend, "What a Bitch!" and her friend doing what most friends do best agreed with her "I know, who asked her. Whatever, he will call you." Can you say "Denial!"

My close friends know just how I love to say random things. I wanted to say this line to someone so bad. I would say it with that yes-I'm-wise look on my face and change someone's life forever. No I would not just say it randomly during a conversation about 'fur vs. faux fur'. I would wait for the perfect time. I would find that confused friend who was hopelessly lovelorn, and then I would look upon them with warmth, pity, sadness and wisdom in my eyes. And I would say to them, "I love you hun, so I must be honest with you, he/she is just not that into you." They would cry, and I would console them, and eventually they would get over it and thank me for the single most liberating phrase anyone has ever put to them.

The task at hand was to find that perfect someone. It was tough. I was surrounded by a lot of single people and a lot of casual daters who couldn't care less. It looked like it would never happen for me. When I decided to move to Toronto, I figured I'd meet more people - in love and lovelorn alike. I got caught up with school and life and I forgot about my quest to be the architect of the defining moment of another's life. That is of course until I saw the phrase again last night. I became excited once more. I told myself I would find that sad person. That person who has had it tough in the relationship department, who has looked for love in all the wrong places, who has been disappointed again and again, who has held on to the belief that "he will come around eventually," who has remained optimistic in a case where optimism is nothing but poison. I would find that boy who explained "Stay away from me, you freak!" as "Awww she's playing hard to get." I would find that girl who explained "The Silent Phone" as "Well I guess he's busy but I know he's thinking of me." That girl who waits patiently for the day he turns around and says "Where have you been all my life?"And when I find her I would change her life forever with those seven words "He Is Just Not That Into You."

Happy with the rekindled interest in my mission, I got up from my bed and thought to myself "I'll go take a shower, sleep, and when I wake up, I'll begin my search. I must find that person and complete my mission." I walked into the bathroom and I looked in the mirror. I caught my breath as I saw staring back at me the very girl I had been looking for. Mission accomplished!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a gift.

Anonymous said...

wow girl. a friend of mine just asked me to read ur blog. good job. Did u really feel/have all these experiences or is it just really good writing? either way, u r good. u've got me asking myself some questions.

Anonymous said...

wow. i love the end.

Ugonnia said...

-thnx stan
-jo'girl...yeah..it's both lol
-thnx? c hahaha. i thought it was a lil cheesy but i'm glad u like it.

Anonymous said...

WOW.
Again, marry me?